CMHA Durham Information Practices
Collection of Personal Health Information
We collect personal health information about you directly from you or from the person acting on your behalf. The personal health information that we collect may include your name, date of birth, address, health history, records of your visits to [the Hospital] and the care that you received during those visits. Occasionally, we collect personal health information about you from other sources if we have obtained your consent to do so, or if the law requires us to do so.
Use and Disclosure of Personal Health Information
We use and disclose your personal health information to:
- treat and care for you,
- conduct risk management activities,
- conduct quality improvement activities (such as sending patients satisfaction surveys),
- conduct research,
- compile statistics,
- comply with legal and regulatory requirements and
- fulfill other purposes permitted or required by law.
You may access and correct your personal health records, or withdraw your consent for some of the above uses and disclosures by contacting us (subject to legal exceptions).
Unless we are informed otherwise, we will assume that we have your consent to gather and use your personal health information to provide services (implied consent).
- We will only share personal health information with your express consent.
- We take steps to protect your personal health information from theft, loss, unauthorized access, copying, modification, use, disclosure and disposal.
- We conduct audits and complete investigations to monitor and manage our privacy compliance.
- We take steps to ensure that everyone who performs services for us protects your privacy and only uses your personal health information for the purposes you have consented to.
CMHA Durham has safeguards in place to ensure that personal health information is protected and only individuals who need to know the information to perform their work duties access personal health information. Safeguards are technical, password-protected, physical locked filing cabinets.
How to Contact Us
Privacy concerns can be reported directly to our privacy officer. The concern will be investigated; we will determine if a breach has occurred and follow up with staff, as needed .
CMHA Durham Privacy Officer:
You have the right to complain to the Information and Privacy Commissioner/Ontario if you believe we have violated your rights.
Information and Privacy Commissioner/Ontario
2 Bloor Street East, Suite 1400
Toronto, Ontario M4W 1A8
Phone: 416-326-3333 (Toronto Area) or 1-800-387-0073